background

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

book It!

There aren't many things I'm competitive about...watching TV, marathon shopping sprees, and reading books. my love for reading books again and very early age. I was always trying to see how many 5 page books I could read on the subject of dick and jane. whethet they were playing ball, playing with dogs, or running, I was hooked. my fascination with book blossomed in third grade with the contest called Book It. combining my love of pizza with my love of books was a sure fire way to keep my interest. Over the years I read every book the came my way, though admittedly some assigned books in school took a while to love...never did read Return of the Native.

I tried to balance my obsession for books by getting giant stacks from my local library. I had a strategy-visit bookstores, browse shelves, take photos of book covers to remember them, then search for books on Amazon, add to my wish list, then in batches of 10-15, request them to be sent to library. Whew! What a work out book pick- up day would be!

Then everything changed....last year I bought the most recent Kindle and I LOVE IT BEYOND MEASURE. It fulfilled my need for instant gratification and allows me a nearly limitless set of book @ my disposal. The joy of sitting in my airplane seat and downloading a new book mere seconds before the plane takes off is AWESOME. So my love affair with my Kindle continues, but the other night something happened.

With too much time before a dinner reservation P and I went into a bookstore. After flipping through magazines of trash, I wandered to the " recommended" section and an actress' biography caught my eye. I plopped down, heard the beloved found of the spine cracking open and began to read the prologue. I inhaled the new book smell, brushed my fingers over the lightly textured ivory pages, the black ink dark as ebony, and realized with a nostalgic sigh, that I missed books. I missed turning pages and mentally marking my progress by seeing how much of the book is left marked by inches. I also really liked the biography too!

I downloaded the book as soon as I got home and began to read it on my Kindle. A crazy thing happened...I dint like the book anywhere near as much as I did in paper, and I actually felt like I betrayed my beloved Kindle :(

What I learned is that once in a while its good to look backwards and allow ourselves extra indulgence. Maybe a bookstore CAN still be a great escape and darn it, I shall not feel guilty! LOL

No comments: