There aren't many things I understand about sports as a whole. For the life of me I will never be able to fathom why people who aren't saving lives and curing diseases are making an ungodly amount of money to throw, shoot, hit or catch a ball.
What I have come to appreciate though, through one of my favorite mediums (TV) is the power of a team. I've been watching Friday Nights Lights for 5 seasons now, and have just begun its 6th.
Every time this show comes on it moves me. It teaches me that there are people out there that need to believe in something. Or they need to feel like for a moment in time they are bigger than their circumstances. And for those that will perpetually watch from the bleachers of life, that even in their own small way, they are making their own contribution. I know it's just a show, but it feels real. When the small town of Dillon, TX rallies behind their team, they are imagining a future beyond their flat-land borders. The coach of the show is every person's hero. He champions the weak spirited, he teaches the bullies, and at the end of the day, he reminds everyone that they can dream, and want, and reach for more.
Before every game the coach and team break their locker room huddle with "clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose."
So, for one hour a week, I am a football fan too!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment