It's amazing how important a small, clear, maybe zippered pouch can become. When I was a kid they represented yummy things, maybe like Lays Sour Cream and Onion chips, or gummy fruit snacks, or even the occasional bologna sandwich. My little lunch bag would have all sorts of little plastic baggies in there, each one pulling containing a new treat.
These days the zippered pouches in my life have taken on an entirely new meaning. I browse grocery store aisles in search of the perfect ones; can't pick snack size, can't pick gallon size, can't even pick the ones without closable features. I've begun to scrutinize terms like "double guard" and "double zipper" not to mention, "freezer bags" because those would surely be more resilient. I peruse generic brands in the hope that I could find more than 25 to a box.
What was once a disposable mechanism to keep my food separated is now a primary component to allow myself access to a new world of discoveries that I make every time I arrive at the airport. This bag contains my most recent favorite 10-12 lipglosses, my Airborne, Excedrin migraine, hand-cream/sanitizer, Wet-wipes to rid my seat and tray table of any former yuckiness, any medications I may need to keep close, rollerball (or 2) of my current perfume, and any number of other items I've deemed essential. I can't honestly even wrap my brain around how some people I know keep theirs stocked with shampoo, toothpaste, and other various things needed if you carry-on luggage. That is too foreign a concept for me.
Before travel season I make sure I've stocked up on the bags. I stow them in various places in any of the 5 main pieces of luggage that I may use just in case 1)my current one breaks or 2)I can be a good samaritan and offer one to a friend in need. I also transfer it from my carry-on bag to my purse during other times of the year, but this is more due to laziness than separation anxiety. This "filled-to-the-brim" goody bag will travel from security bin to security bin. It will see the likes of LAX, ONT, ORD, DFW, SEA, MIA, HOU, DEN, BOS, PDX, HNL, SLC, LAS, OAK, SFO, ALC, ATL, SJC, YYZ, DCA, IND, SAT, SMF, RNO, PHL, LGA, OGG, PHX, MCI, JAX, ISP, IAH, ITO, RSW, FAI, DEN, BUR, BOI, ACV, DTW, MSY. If you can identify even half the airport codes listed (and yes, I've been to everyone of these), then I suspect you too have your own story of ziploc necessity and the wonderous things that await you on the other size of the screening machine...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment